Connecting to Navision through ODBC
Updated: Mar 9, 2019
With older versions of Navision you are limited to your connection options. There isn't a SQL Server to directly connect to, OData or SOAP services. Sometimes the best way to connect is through ODBC. The following step by step instructions will take you through this.
1. Install the ODBC driver, and step through the wizard
2. ODBC for older version of Navision are 32 bit connections so after applying the proper license with ODBC capabilities you need to open 32 bit ODBC, NOT the version that comes on Windows 2008 server or later.
On 2008 server it's located here C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
3. Configure the connection. Note that under options the Identifiers and other options need to be set to get the connection and data to run properly.
4. Test connectivity with Microsoft Access. Open Access and create and new empty database. From "External Data" add an ODBC database.
5. Select the "Machine Data Source" tab and select your connection.
6. You can either Link to the tables or Import.
7. If you link to the tables keep in mind that you're updating live data.